Saturday, February 9, 2013

De Mello



Here are some of my favorites from Anthony De Mello.





“Happiness is our natural state. Happiness is the natural state of little children, to whom the kingdom belongs until they have been polluted and contaminated by the stupidity of society and culture. To acquire happiness you don't have to do anything, because happiness cannot be acquired. Does anybody know why? Because we have it already. How can you acquire what you already have? Then why don't you experience it? Because you've got to drop something. You've got to drop illusions. You don't have to add anything in order to be happy; you've got to drop something. Life is easy, life is delightful. It's only hard on your illusions, your ambitions, your greed, your cravings. Do you know where these things come from? From having identified with all kinds of labels!”




“As soon as you look at the world through an ideology you are finished. No reality fits an ideology. Life is beyond that. … That is why people are always searching for a meaning to life… Meaning is only found when you go beyond meaning. Life only makes sense when you perceive it as mystery and it makes no sense to the conceptualizing mind.”




“"I have no fear of losing u, for you aren't an object of my property, or anyone else's. I love you as you are, without attachment, without fears, without conditions, without egoism, trying not to absorb you. I love you freely because I love your freedom, as well as mine.”




“People mistakenly assume that their thinking is done by their head; it is actually done by the heart which first dictates the conclusion, then commands the head to provide the reasoning that will defend it.”




“If what you seek is Truth, there is one thing you must have above all else.” “I know. An overwhelming passion for it.” “No. An unremitting readiness to admit you may be wrong.”




“When you are guilty, it is not your sins you hate but yourself.”




“When you come to see you are not as wise today as you thought you were yesterday, you are wiser today.”




“the tragedy of an attachment is that if its object is not attained it causes unhappiness. But if it is attained, it does not cause happiness – it merely causes a flash of pleasure followed by weariness, and it is always accompanied, of course, by the anxiety that you may lose the object of your attachment.”




“Any time you are with anyone or think of anyone you must say to yourself: I am dying and this person too is dying, attempting the while to experience the truth of the words you are saying. If every one of you agrees to practice this, bitterness will die out, harmony will arise.”




“There is only one cause of unhappiness: the false beliefs you have in your head, beliefs so widespread, so commonly held, that it never occurs to you to question them.”




“Perfect love casts out fear. Where there is love there are no demands, no expectations, no dependency. I do not demand that you make me happy; my happiness does not lie in you. If you were to leave me, I will not feel sorry for myself; I enjoy your company immensely, but I do not cling.”




― Anthony de Mello, Awareness




“You see persons and things not as they are but as you are. ”

― Anthony de Mello





2 comments:

  1. Hi Sir Yuri, I am one of your students in Unstoppable Forex. My friend informed me that you have a blog. I am happy that I found someone who's incline to spirituality and a Filipino. I am more surprised when I saw Anthony De Mello in your blog. I also love his books/teachings. Mind breaking which will really change your perspective in life or shall I say programming. He is into Self-Awareness. I also have blog but I stop writing for now due to busy schedule for work. But, I will write again soon to give more awareness to everyone. Send my regards to Sir John.... Namaste! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also would like to meet Anthony De Mello but he already died. He was poisoned. =(

    ReplyDelete